Studying is Boring! A Guide.
So next week I have three assignments due in, their word count added together equaling 11,000 words, and in May I have a 3 hour exam of which I am in no way prepared. My problem is motivation. I find doing assignments and revising so boring no matter how important they are or now near the deadline is. I’d rather not do it at all and fail then actually do it, which is a problems.
So I’ve decided to put together this master post full of things that help me to motivate myself and to de-stress.
Music - 8tracks.com
Here is a selection of calming and study related playlists that I listen to when trying to study.
You can also make a playlist of your own using the tracks that work for you best.
- getcoldturkey is an excellent program that temporarily blocks you off social media sites, addicting websites, games and even programs
- Have open an extra writing document or have a notebook with you - sometimes I find that when I get stuck the best thing to do is to write about ANYTHING even if it’s just “this is so boring why am i doing this i wish i was doing something else please send help”
Being in the right environment is crucial to how much work you get done
- Make sure you’re somewhere that’s comfortable (for me that’s i my bedroom curled up in bed in my pyjamas) so surround yourself with pillows, blankets, familiar objects, etc
- Always get rid of distractions, be it a games console or the tv, switch them off so you won’t be tempted
- Always make sure to have something to eat and drink at hand so you don’t have to move too far to get them
- Make sure there is plenty of natural light as sitting under artificial light for too long can be damaging to the eyes and can cause headaches and tiredness
Take a break every hour
Taking a break isn’t the same as procrastinating. We were advised at university to study for one hour and then to take a break by doing something that is completely different from that which you are doing. Here are a few ideas:
Food and Drink
- Blueberries, blackberries, pumpkin seeds, nuts, olives (for boosting brain power)
- Walnuts, avocados, citrus fruit, dark chocolate (for boosting creativity)
- Green tea is exceptionally good for de-stressing however a hot drink of any kind can do wonders for making you feel comfortable (tea, coffee, hot chocolate, hot milk)
- Try to avoid anything full of sugar such as energy drinks and sweets to snack on
I hope this helps you!